Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sideboard makeover

We have been a little busy around here! Something about the motivation of a new year always makes me want to start checking things off my diy list. The piece in this post has actually been done for quite a while, but I just got motivated to get all the furniture in the dining room rearranged for it to fit right in the space. Tomorrow I will show you the whole dining room which has been in process for (cough, cough) a while! Anyway!!! It is done now. And that is what matters. 

This sideboard was my Grandmothers and her sister (my hutch) has been in my dining room since we moved into this house. I had originally painted the hutch black. I loved it, but it ended up feeling a little heavy. And especially when I got her sister... I refer to her as the Beast... I knew the black would consume the room.

P.S. Yes, I do usually humanize my furniture. Some of my close friends and family have already suggested I seek help for this, ahem, quirk of mine.

So I went with a nice soft grey color instead. Who after looking around on Pinterest for any length of time could avoid the soft grey craze??? 

Here are a few pictures before. See why I call her the beast?? She is HUGE! But ALL of that storage makes me feel a little giddy! (ignore our disaster area of a garage)



And here she is now! I think the color is called Everyday Grey by Sherwin Williams. Their ProClassic line is usually my go to paint for furniture. Especially if it is a piece that will get a lot of use. It holds up beautifully in my experience. 


And here she is situated perfectly in the little nook in my dining room. It is as if it was made just for her!


Not only is it great storage, I can't wait to have a dinner party! Isn't that just the perfect place for all those dishes that crowd the table when you have a large group? 


Anyway... this is just the beginning of the projects that are getting checked off around here. We have been working on moving the boys into a shared room so we can turn the other into a play room for them. So fun! Stay tuned!

Linking up to:

Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Creek Cottage

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! It WAS made for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on TT&J. I'm DYING over this!! Amazing piece and an amazing refinish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous piece!! I love it painted- would love if you would come share at Feathered Nest Friday at my blog sometime- going on all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,
    This is one beautiful piece...wonderful lines...good luck with the new playroom.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori -- I love it -- I'm jealous and I miss it -- but I love it! Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete