Friday, February 3, 2012

Budget kitchen redo

Finally!!! The kitchen is done! And I still have my arm!! I seriously thought it might fall off after all of that painting. But alas... it lives to paint another day. Oh I guarantee you it will paint another day!

See my pretty tulips my sweet husband gave to me. Let me tell ya, that is one patient man! He doesn't get a lot of warning before I dive into these projects of mine. He pretty much comes home from work one day with cabinet doors spread out everywhere. But he not only supports me, he helps me out where I need it. Truthfully I don't ask him to do a whole lot, only the things I am pretty sure I would make worse.
I actually totally burned him out on painting when we moved into our second apartment as a married couple. I made him stay up ALL night the night before we moved in painting every. single. room! Yeah, I pretty much deserve what I get!:) But that is another story for another day.... I think you all may have come to see a kitchen!

Lets take one more look at the before pictures shall we?




People... that is a lot of oak! A lot of golden oak! It wasn't bad, but it wasn't me and I didn't love it. And I like to love my spaces... especially the one that I spend 97% of my day in!

Well, I love it now!



It is like a different kitchen all together! And guess what... it didn't break the bank! I spent less than $300 on the makeover itself! A little more if you add in new accessories.

So you want to know what all was done? Well like I said before... it was a WHOLE STINKING LOT of painting! If you remember I painted my stove to look like stainless steel. (Come back next week for some updated information about that.) 

Then I painted the island with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I loved it. The wax you use to seal it was a little different. But the paint went on great and had fantastic coverage! 

The color is Paloma Gray. I knew I wanted the island to be a different color than the cabinets. Since I am on a bit of a gray kick right now I knew it would be something in that family.


Then I very slightly distressed it. I wanted the island to have a little more of a furniture feel to it. I have plans to add some other details to it some time to give it more of that feel.

And of course I painted the rest of the cabinets. They are just right off the shelf white from Sherwin Williams pro classic line. I worked with oil paint for the first time on this project and truthfully if I had it to do over again I am not sure I would have used the oil base. I love Sherwin Williams paint and their latex pro classic  is a GREAT paint. And with the trouble I had cleaning up the oil, I think the slightly less hard finish is worth it for the simplicity of latex. But that is just me.


I used the same white to paint my table. It was heirloom white, but next to the bright white cabinets it just looked dirty. And then because everything else was changing I repainted these chairs. I still liked them but the seats were crazy dirty after being used by messy little boys and the chairs just didn't quite feel right with the new colors. 

So I spray painted them and my stools with Rustoleum Dark Gray. Then I found a tablecloth on clearance at Target for $12 and it had all of the colors I wanted to pull together! I used it to reupholster the chairs.



Whats that??? You see new countertops?? Yeah those are painted too!


Painted!! I love the finished product! I will have a more detailed post about this next week as well. I used leftover latex paint from my sideboard and some acrylic craft paints in different colors and sealed it all off with Envirotex light! All of it cost about $100!

This little area is where our router has to sit. The phone jack is weirdly place on the wall next to the kitchen instead of along that back wall by the plug in. So completely hiding the cords is impossible, but this little box certainly makes it less noticeable.


See it all tucked in there with the phone cord coming out one side and the electric cord coming out the other.  The box was a $5 Steinmart find, but it was UGLY. So I painted it and decoupaged some scrapbook paper on it to prettify it.


Over here a little canister I found at TJ Maxx for $8 holds my utensils. Then I couldn't resist the Pot holder and little gray cow both from Target!


Over here is our little organization corner. I saw this idea on another blog. I can't remember which one now. But it is jut a hanging file basket with folders for things like my son's school information and my menus... blah blah blah. Then you clip a calendar on the front. I love it!

Well that concludes my kitchen tour. If you have questions or want more information about any one thing let me know and I will give some more details. 

How about one more before and after??













Linking up to:
HookingupwithHoH





The 36th Avenue

32 comments:

  1. WOW!! I love everything about this makeover! VERY well done. I love your new color choices. I currently have a very OAK-ie kitchen and this is totally the direction I want to head with it! The countertops are fantastic and I love the box with all of your cords & gadgets...so smart!! I'm your newest follower! Would love for you to stop by sometime at ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com.
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously amazing. I love how much paint can change a room and lightening the cabinets gave the room such a crisp, clean & airy feel. Awesome, awesome job!

    Off to check out your stove now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolute fantastic budget make over...so much work but it paid off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! This is I N C R E D I B L E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did awesome!!! Now come do my countertops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that is the same kitchen? It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am featuring you tomorrow during Sticker Time. I hope you stop by to Button-UP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job - your kitchen looks gorgeous! You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job!! I'm going to show this to my husband -- painting out cabinets is my summer project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-what a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love it! I'm still trying to decide if I want to paint mine or not, they are also oak. I got them from my friend's kitchen when she remodeled (mine were falling apart) and I designed everything else to use the oak but they've never seen quite right. Love yours!
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Visiting from tt&j! Wow! What a great remodel! Its so bright and pretty now.. I have kitchen envy now :) Im going to poke around your site some now!

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came over from The 36th Ave. and I have to say your kitchen looks fabulous. It didn't look bad before, I agree. But it looks like " ahh!" I need to do this to my kitchen too, I need to build up the courage to do so, I need to figure out how to do it right and easy, if there is such a thing as easy. Well, you inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great transformation! I know I never wanted to paint again after we did our kitchen in November! LOL I'm visiting from Sunday Showcase and I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen looks amazing! The white cabinets really brighten it up. Great makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowzer! That's an amazing transformation. I love the way you described your makeover whims. I am the same way, if the urge strikes me, I just go with it. My husband works nights sometimes, and has come home more than one morning to a different color bedroom.
    I think over time you will be glad you went with the oil based paint. I have painted my kitchen cabinets a few times and always use oil based paint. It wears beautifully and is so much more durable than latex. I don't mind the clean up as much as the dry time with oil paint.
    You got an amazing bang for your 300 bucks. It looks like a different kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Fabulous before and AFTER! So sunny and happy and fresh. You should head on over to CraftOManiac and link this up to my fun link party going on now. CraftOManiac Monday. I generally get between 500-600 plus links. Its so fun. Winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!! Such a difference. Coming over from Stephanie Lynn's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what an amazing makeover. I too am living in Oak Overload and wanting to paint my cabinet and island. After seeing yours I just may take the plunge. Great job on eveything. I am now a follower. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow! Great job, it's gorgeous. I hate my oak cabinets and ugly counters. I'm thinking it's time to paint! Thanks for the inspiration. Visiting from craft-o-maniac. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful job! Your white cabinets are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This "new" kitchen looks fantastic! I can.not believe you painted your countertops! I'm in absolute awe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. $300 is super impressive - it looks so beautiful~

    ReplyDelete
  23. BEAUTIFUL!! Amazing what a can of paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, love the white cabinets. We are going to paint ours very soon and I'm torn between white and dark brown. Seeing transformations like this sends me to the white side.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your new kitchen looks beautiful....and honestly, I cannot believe you even painted your countertops!!! Way cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. awesome transformation! I can't wait to paint my cabinets.. and also thinking WHITE! :)

    Thanks for linking up at Create and Inspire!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous post,
    Thank you for linking your post up! , hope you will stop by today and link up another great post!!
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.com/
    See you there
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous!! You completely transformed it without breaking the bank and it looks like a totally new kitchen. Love that you painted your stove! Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week. :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE your kitchen! You did such a great job! I just painted my kitchen cabinets and will be painting my table this weekend.

    How did you make your curtains/shades on the smaller windows?

    ReplyDelete
  30. you really did a beautiful job! I love how bright & fresh everything looks. What an improvement.
    Best Kitchen Layouts
    Kitchen Remodel Planner
    Bathroom Remodel
    Flooring Installation

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.miter saw reviews consumer reports

    ReplyDelete