Thursday, February 23, 2012

Annnnnd we're back to white!

So, if you have been keeping up with me and my craziness for a while you will remember the risk I took in painting the surround of my fireplace after we moved into our current house.  My husband told me I could only share this post if I was willing to show the before, after and after after! :) I am a fickle gal!

Soon after we moved in our built ins around the fire place looked like this


Then I painted them black with some brown glaze for a more distressed look.


Then, I painted my kitchen and it was bright and white and lovely! And my shelves just didn't look right. We have a very open floor plan. In fact this is the view of the shelves if you are standing in the kitchen. So the dark just wasn't working for me anymore. 

So I went and got more paint (same color as my kitchen) and painted them back to white. This time with a little twist! The all white was still a little blah for me so I painted the back a lovely, but subtle spring green color!

And now... the after after:

I am smitten!! I have been tweaking a little here and there and there may still be a few small changes, but I really LOVE the results. It is bright and cheerful, but I feel like the green keeps it from feeling as cold as the all white shelves did to me.

I filled in the shelves mostly with what was already there. Some of those items got mini makeovers. A couple are new. And a few are thrifted and therefore, just new to me!


Here you can see my little anthro knockoff pot nestled in its new home on my shelves


2 comments:

  1. I really like the before but the after-after is amazing! I really need to paint the back of a bookshelf. We're trying to figure out what to do with our basement brick fireplace and it would just be so much easier if it wasn't off-center on a wall. Pinning this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete